Click for Sunyani, Ghana Forecast

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Price is Right


After landing in Accra last Wednesday our first order of business the next day was doing a large grocery shop. Our site has a small commissary (size of a 7-11) and the choice is limited. So off we go to the mall where a western grocery store is. We filled 4 carts full of food. Our receipt was about as long as a couch. The bill was 1800.00Gc (about $1450.00). Of course I did not buy enough food or the right items. I get up to the house and say oh, I didn't buy (fill in the blank). Whether it be salsa, frozen corn, or anything else that we normal take for granted that we have in the pantry and freezer. The one thing I did buy was a quart of strawberries.
These strawberries cost 25.00Gc (~ $18.00)! I actually had 2 containers in my cart, until I saw the price! And the terrible thing is that by the time the kids got around to eating them they were starting to go bad. Things don't keep well here, especially after traveling by truck for 7 hrs in the African heat. Luckily they didn't notice the very ripeness of them and they were gobbled up.

No comments:

Post a Comment